Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vintage Shopping in Malasana

After visiting the Rastro on Sunday (see earlier post), I decided to explore more of Madrid's vintage clothing scene.  I did some light research on the inter-webs and noted that Malasana was the district to check out for vintage shopping.

On the walk to the Malasana, I passed through Gran Via where hundreds of protestors had gathered for a march to speak out against austerity measures/budget cuts.   I assume this because their signs had an image of a pair of scissors with an X through it.

Calle de Velarde is the main street for vintage shopping in the Malasana.  There are four or five shops on this block.  

A vintage store on Calle de Velarde aptly named Williamsburg with an image of the Williamsburg Bridge in the logo. They were playing Nina Simone, and I bought a silk scarf there for 4 euro.

This Dooney and Bourke handbag was priced at 30 euro but easily could have been sold at a flea market in NYC for the equivalent of 100 euro.

The interior of Magpie Vintage where I bought a red turban for 5 euro. They had an impressive collection of jean cutoffs...

No comments: