Friday, January 8, 2010

Top Ten Reasons Why I am Okay With Busy Season

Submitted to company newsletter in February 2010 issue

That abusive mistress, busy season. It torments and teases and makes a fool of me, and yet I keep coming back to her. After a few years, I have come to terms with busy season, and thus have compiled my top ten reasons I am okay with busy season.

  1. It’s seasonal. Like depression.
  2. The data doesn’t mine itself. It needs me to mine it, vlookup it, if(iserror(cell, true,false)) it, goal seek it, basically just love on it.
  3. It’s really good practice for the 10-Q. No? The other way around?
  4. If you’re single, you get to ignore the whole Valentine’s Day hoopla.
  5. If you’re not single, you get to somewhat ignore the whole Valentine’s Day hoopla.
  6. It’s paradise for clinical insomniacs and masochists… basically vampires. And vampires are hot these days in the books and on the screen. We were all on the forefront of the trend years ago.
  7. Think of all the new excel formulas you’ll learn. Party tricks!
  8. After working that first Saturday together where everyone comes in casual clothes, you realize you would never recognize any of your coworkers on the street and they would never be able to recognize you on the street either, and this brings you great comfort.
  9. Speaking of casual wear on the weekends, when else do you get to wear your Animaniacs™ t-shirt, tie-dye fanny pack, and black jorts to work? Other than in your dreams.
  10. In all seriousness, when I look back over my past few busy seasons, these are the moments I learn the most and appreciate my teammates the most. So why not embrace the challenge and make the most of it. Best of luck!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need to learn some of your secret excel sheet tricks... i've just come to realize how highly addictive and inexplicably fun it can be.