Monday, August 13, 2007

Final India Update


We have returned to Mumbai to wrap up our last days in India.

Ferry Racing

Towards the end of our hour-long ferry ride from Elephanta Island to Mumbai, we notice the ferry suspiciously close to us is racing us. Their passengers all stand up and move to the front of the ferry and begin taking pictures of us, hoping to overtake our noble vessel. Gordon and I will have none of this.

Other nearby passengers also grow worried about losing this impromptu race. Gordon yells to the ship "We need to lose some weight. Women and children overboard!" He then begins a slow chant "Hut! Hut! Hut!" - Hindi for "Move! Move! Move!" It's one of two phrases he knows.

As our ship speeds up and wins the race, a definite cheer emerges from our deck. Drenched in the briny filth characteristic of the Arabian Sea, Gordon told everyone he's never been so proud to be Indian.

Fashion

Repulsed by the high cost of haircuts in New York, I decide to find a hair salon in Mumbai. Ah yes, Touch of Joy. It was recommended by the man on the street.

Waiting in the chair, I begin leafing through the fashion magazines to find the haircut I would like. Unfortunately, they only offered obscure Indian glamour publications featuring Bollywood stars. I realize I do not have long enough hair for a Bollywood bob and begin searching through my personal stash of reading materials. Unfortunately, all I brought was the July 7th issue of the Economist. Being it was the poverty issue, it wasn't too heavy on the hotties. I finally had to settle for page 84 - an ad for the Advanced Management Program at Wharton. It features a seasoned, business-savvy, Hillary Clinton look-alike. I hope it starts a trend.

No comments: